Tuesday, June 8, 2010

TIA- This is Africa

So, I guess Imma break down and write an actual blog lol. People want to know about Africa I guess. Well I have to say its pretty awesome. :) I really don't know where to start....

How I get around - Transport is usually interesting because its some of the best experiences I had in Africa. Getting anywhere in general is difficult unless you walk. The main two modes of transport are taxis and Zimis. But taxis aren't what you just imagined it to be. They are the smallest cars ever and they are falling apart! There is usually no interior, doors don't work or lock, air conditioner isn't even reasonable in the state 99% of these taxis are driving around in. On average a 5 seater sits 7 or 8 here, 2 people in the passenger seat and 5-6 in the back. So imagine sitting on someones lap you don't know with their arm around you (who prolly hasn't showered in a few days or even know what deodorant is lol). All the while the taxi is driving as fast as possible and hitting pot holes the size of a small pool... Its interesting to say the least.

Now Zimis, they are neat. They are basically motorbike taxis that take us everywhere. There are hundreds of them driving around. They are fun but very dangerous, the cars cant see them and the drivers usually top the bike out with every chance they get. My favorite moment on a Zimi was in Pkalime, which is a touristy town in north Togo. We rode the Zimis up and down the mountain. It was amazing.

On the zimis you get dirt in your teeth and eyes, you usually smell like exhaust and trash afterwards and there is a possibility of death or serious injury, but its so much more real than riding around in a car. I remember thinking 'I can feel the heartbeat'. The heartbeat of Africa. The music and people are right there with you and you can feel the pulse riding along the streets (usually at full speed lol). Not to mention, you are guaranteed at least one adrenaline rush with each ride.

Zimis are definitely the best way to get around despite the danger. Being in a Mercy Ships car, or even a regular taxi for that matter just kind of ruins the experience. You can see out of your window and all but on a Zimi you are IN Africa. You can see it, smell it and reach out to touch it if you want. My first ride on one of these motorbikes was with a friend on the ship that bought one to ride around on.



Zimis, streets of Lome
Jo and Eddie getting on Zimis in Kpalime (notice the mountains in the distance)

The things I've ate- I have eaten some pretty weird stuff. My first experience with really weird food was at a friend of ours, Jib, house. He is a Togolese friend that cooked for me and some friends on different occasions.

The first time I ate at Jibs he served Goat. Fair enough as alot of people eat goat in Africa right... Well see, here, people dont waste anything at all from the animals.. soo our plates consisted of goat meat and everyyyything else, i.e guts. Ugh we were like OMG and I just kept saying ' we have to eat it its the culture... we cant be rude... just do it' Lol so we ate it. Alot of the stuff I couldn't identify but I know for sure I had an ear, a kidney and the best of all..... a testicle. Yes, I had a goat ball on my plate. And I ate it.

Since then nothing else has really fazed me. We eat Fufu and goat on a regular basis at local restaurants (or a version of a restaurant), most the time it doesn't contain anything but meat (and the skin which is really chewy) but I just stopped looking at what I put in my mouth, its easier that way. Once, I somehow got an eyeball. I didn't eat it because in the process of playing with it it fell to the ground... Ooops. ;)

What I see and who I meet- I have seen some amazing things and some really sad things. Kpalime is a really cool town north of here. There are really pretty mountains there and the town has a really touristy but still African feel. Its a good mix. Me and some friends had alot of fun here one weekend. We hiked some mountains and camped at the very top of one. We played drums at a jimbay club, on stage, we danced around camp fires, rode Zimis through the mountains and managed to ride back to the hotel in the back of an ice cream truck, which ended up being the highlight of the trip lol.

I have also seen some aweful things. The one thing that sticks out in my mind the most happened just this weekend. I was at the beach with a friend and a man in rags walked up and started going through the trash and eating stuff. Mind you, the trash here is os a different variety of that at home. This was old goat and fish that had been in a pile on the beach for what looked like a long time. I think they just pile the trash up there and burn it. It was horrible, I dont think I have ever come so close to vomiting in public as right then. We see people sleeping on the streets with nothing in large multitudes, not just one here and there. They are everywhere.

I have met amazing people tho. I already mentioned Jib. Another good friend of mine is Meheza, my depts translator. She takes me everywhere I want to go and makes sure that no one bothers me lol. She is a wonderful and smart woman that I adore alot. I will miss her more than anyone else in Togo, or on this boat for that matter.




Meheza :)

Meheza, myself and Farouk Rufino's (a patient's) mom

We also met some amazing kids one Saturday. Some friends and myself stayed at a hostel on a Friday and that morning we were sitting on the terrance and kids started showing up looking at us ( which isnt unusual since most of them have never seen a white person before), so we started playing music and then there were like 20 kids around us dancing and jumping rope. We bought them cokes and juice and played with them for a few hours. By the time it was over we had them all nick named lol.

Even going back and reading this I can tell it doesnt do it justice. It just doesnt. I dont know how to explain the feeling you get being here and seeing this stuff. It is very humbling. To see what people do without and to see what they have to do to get what they have. Its good being with Mercy Ships too. Almost every white person here is with Mercy Ships so everyone knows who we are. There have been countless times walking down the street and a local would come and and say 'Mercy Ships? Thank You.' Probably the only English they knew. Its good to be appreciated especially since so many people back home don't understand or even care why we are here.
Here are some random pics for you guys.












1 comment:

  1. Thanks for finally blogging. We need to know whats going on over there. Sounds like your having quite an adventure!!! I miss you :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2009 Mercy Me All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul