Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Ship and the town :)

So I thought I should write a little more about the ship and our living conditions!
Well first off, its not as big on the inside as it looks, but it is still pretty big.




My cabin has 10 girls in it. I know your thinking Oh my thats horrible. But its really not because we have the biggest cabin. It is really big and it has a kitchen, a half like kitchen, two bathrooms a living room and two windows. Most cabins have no windows at all and some have no bathrooms I think. They use a community bathroom, from what I understand. When I say huge keep in mind I mean that the room is huge compared to the others lol. Our personal space is very small. The closet is like 6 ft high and 2 ft wide (something like that) so putting all your stuff in there is like putting together a puzzle. My camera and laptop dont fit anywhere so during the day its on my bed and at night I set it on the floor. The worse part is probably the shower. You can barely turn around in there. Its TINY!

living room for 10 people


My bed with alot of crap on it


My "closet"

The food is ok, better than I thought it would be. There are usually two choices of main course food, then there is salad stuff and sandwich stuff so even if you don't like the main course you can have a sandwich.

There is also a community area where there is a ship store, here you can buy shirts and sweaters, some snack food and just random stuff. There is also a post office, bank and starbucks. I don't know what all the starbucks offers because I have yet to catch it open (I sleep too late I guess). They call this area the town square. This section is two stories. Upstairs its a lounge like area and computer center. All the town square has wireless internet, which I havent gotten to work yet either. Hummm... IDK I bet I can figure it out somehow.

We have a laundry area to use as well, its free so thats good. One amazing thing the sip has is a school. They have 45 students in it and 7 teachers. It goes all the way from k-12th grade.

I know alot of people are wanting to know what it is like to live on the ship. So far it is hard to explain, mostly because I spent my first full day in town. It is like a very small town tho. So if you are from a small town imagine what high school was like. Everyone knows everyone. I keep getting stopped and asked "you must be new" it feels like my first week at Arp HS lol. And everyone asks the same questions, whats your name, where are you from, how long are you staying and what are you doing on the boat. As most of you already know I am a writer! A lot of people think that is really cool. Especially my roommates because most of them are really young, just out of high school so they are doing dining room staff and hospitality, we do have one dental assistant tho.

I guess I'll tell you a little bit more about the town. It is so pretty. The Canary Islands are part of Spain so the Spanish architecture is very prominent and palm treens line the sidewalks. Most everyone walks here so they are very skinny lol and very stylish. You very rarely see anyone in jeans and a t-shirt. They wear skinny jeans and oversized shirts with awesome looking boots, heels or some granny like shoes.
Everyone here smokes, everywhere. Even in alot of the stores. Every other person you pass has a cigarette in hand or is sitting on a bench smoking. The birds are funny, there is like a ton of pigeons and they are pretty tame so they don't move out of your way when your walking until you almost step on them. Right now there is a pigeon sitting on a lady's table (outside McDonalds)and she is feeding it. Now there are like 6 of them on her table lol.

Oh funny part, they siesta here. For like four hours. So everything shuts down from 1-5 (i think those are the times) except the restaurants and cafes of course. Oh and there is some really neat clothing stores here. We went into a few yesterday and they sell some really awesome emo looking clothes. There is also a Foot Locker, everything was so expensive in there tho. I wanted to get another pair of Chucks so we checked at the foot locker and they were 89 euros (so over 100 US dollars) so we left and went down the street. We found a small shoe store that had some off brands that look exactly like Chucks for 8 euros! thats only 12 dollars! So I bought some grey ones! Me and Catilin felt like we really accomplished something with that good of a deal! With all the walking we are doing I needed some walking shoes! I have two HUGE blisters on both feet from yesterday because I only wore my old lady shoes walking everywhere! It is terrible :(

*A pigeon just landed on my table. Ummm lol

Well I guess that is it for now. I have wrote two whole blogs now! I probably need to go back to the ship soon.

Oh and I will post pictures tomorrow probably! I am having an issue with getting it charged. If you dont plug stuff in right it blows so I'm waiting on charging it until I am sure it wont blow up! Lol.

Be sure to read "The Trip" I posted it right before this one!
Below are pictures of the town:










4 comments:

 
Copyright © 2009 Mercy Me All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul